Rank: Top 1000
Wonder Type: Cultural
Shwenandaw Monastery was built in 1880 by King Thibaw Min, who dismantled and relocated the apartment formerly occupied by his father, King Mindon Min, just before Mindon Min's death, at a cost of 120,000 rupees. Thibaw removed the building in October 1878, believing it to be haunted by his father's spirit. The building was reconstructed as a monastery over the course of 5 years, dedicated in memory of his father, on a plot adjoining Atumashi Monastery.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Shwenandaw Monastery", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 3.0 License.