Zwinger of Dresden
Rank: Top 1000
Wonder Type: Cultural
The Zwinger is a palace in the eastern German city of Dresden, built in Rococo style and designed by court architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann. It served as the orangery, exhibition gallery and festival arena of the Dresden Court. The location was formerly part of the Dresden fortress of which the outer wall is conserved. The name derives from the German word Zwinger; it was for the cannons that were placed between the outer wall and the major wall. The Zwinger was not enclosed until the Neoclassical building by Gottfried Semper called the Semper Gallery was built on its northern side. [More Details]
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "Zwinger of Dresden", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 3.0 License.