City Palace, Udaipur
Rank: Top 300
Wonder Type: Cultural
City Palace, Udaipur is a palace complex, which was built over a period of nearly 400 years, with contributions from several rulers of the Mewar dynasty. Construction began in 1553, started by Maharana Udai Singh II of the Sisodia Rajput family as he shifted his capital from the erstwhile Chittor to the new found city of Udaipur. The palace is located on the east bank of Lake Pichola and has several palaces built within its complex. The City Palace in Udaipur was built in a flamboyant style and is considered the largest of its type in the state of Rajasthan. It was built atop a hill, in a fusion of the Rajasthani and Mughal architectural styles, providing a panoramic view of the city and its surroundings. [More Details]
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "City Palace, Udaipur", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 3.0 License.